Saturday, July 20, 2013

A bit of this and a bit of that

The days simply whizz by, and although I have not been idle, somehow this blog is neglected. 
 
An invitation to a birthday celebration sent me to sort through my fabrics for a cushion suitable for a man.  I knew pinks would definitely not be just right, and hope the grey, brown and yellow will set a bright, but 'manly' note.

 
The block I chose to complete for Our Craft Forum's BOM was partly paper pieced.  Only once before had I tackled paper piecing, which I have been reliably informed is easy.  I printed out 'Lightning in the Kitchen' and a couple of extra templates, just in case!  Those two templates ended up in the bin, and somehow I managed to finally 'get' paper piecing.  I am not 100% certain that method will stay engrained in my mind, but do admit that the points are precise and easier to join up with this method.  
 
 
The fish block for the month of July was a colourful creature!  I decided on the name Henri and to me he looks a little like a French chef ... the check is his apron!!  I am enjoying stitching the fish family, and am toying with an idea of how I will 'tie' them altogether.
 
 
This year I decided not to enter into swaps in Our Craft Forum the reason being I have a few several UFO's calling for attention.  One was a row by row BOM of two years ago that sat in the cupboard awaiting inspiration attention.  When my daughter announced she was coming to stay for a few days I hurriedly put that quilt together [and forgot to take a photo].  That was easy, so easy I wondered why I hadn't attempted earlier!  I lay the batting on the backing, a lovely dark green flannel, and machined each row on in a 'quilt as you go'.  Time wise that method took less time than putting on the binding.  That simple quilt now earns its keep covering the bottom of the bed to keep toes warm.
 
Forgetting my vow to not take on too many new projects I am in the process of constructing a Scottish themed quilt that needs to be completed by November ... photos later.  And I have made a start on Red Brolly's Girls Own stitching club BOM; Le Jardine
 
To state that my work table is a mess ... is an understatement!!!  But as long as I am making something I am happy.  One should never let a little mess get in the way of happiness!
 

1 comment:

Nanna Chel said...

Nice work, Shirley. I particularly like the colours in the second photo. I am just amazed at the patchwork sewing you do. I have never gotten into patchwork unless you could call a 'raggedy rug' a form of patchwork. LOL!