Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Prim and Old-Fashioned

My 'Prim swap 'effort is almost complete; all it needs are a few embellishing buttons to add to the authenticity. As this swap has some weeks yet to run I won't post a photo ... no sense in spoiling the surprise should my swap partner visit this site!
In the beginning I knew little about 'Prim' [Primitive], but after tentative enquiries and ready information through replies, I decided that I could do this. The use of Parisiene essence caused a few anxious moments. Once I discovered this product was simply gravy browning, in disguise, my enthusiasm for its application dimmed. The option of coffee I discarded. I drink too much coffee to warrant using it as a dye! Oh yes, there are some of us who are descended from that noble race, The Scots, and we have standards to uphold.
When a kind soul suggested using tea-bags, my problem was solved. After choosing a pattern [I decided upon a cushion, and that information my swap partner already is aware off, so I am letting out no secrets with that admission] I stitched, and I sewed. The finished article looked not too bad!
Yesterday I brewed some tea, strong tea in a bowl. After allowing it to cool I dipped a piece of fabric to check for colour. Mmmm ... I guess that is the shade I am seeking.
Dip the cushion cover ... dunk it again to make sure. Ah ... the colour is the correct shade, though I have no idea what that correct shade should be. Remember, I have never 'done Prim' before. Quickly I pegged the cover on the clothes line, squeezing a little excess moisture that threatened to drip, drip, drip onto my shoes. Two hours later the cushion cover was dry enough to iron. While ironing the thought did pass through my mind if a 'prim' item should be ironed. I like ironing, within reason.
I am not sure if I truly have fallen in love with Prim ... it may take some getting used to.
Last week the Mingenew Expo was held. Expo is a fairly pretentious word for what could more correctly be described as a Country Show. However, an Expo it is. And, in the true form of an Expo, many for-sale items were on display.
Rows of farm machinery; pens of sheep; tents housing displays for kit homes; a Police recruitment centre; displays of handbags and leather belts; all these and more covered a large area of the Mingenew Sports ground. There were food stalls; a caravan selling baked potatoes with a huge variety of toppings was especially busy [their product was scrummy!]
One enclosure held what could only be called a farmyard. Most of the animals were white ... sheep, dog, cat and rabbits, a guinea pig that had a brown splotch on its back, a duck, a white goose, a cocky little bantam rooster who, at 11.00am perisisted in crowing his 'good morning world' welcome, and two tiny black and white piglets. It wasn't only the children who were enthralled with this enclosure!

Inside a huge tent more displays enticed Expo visitors to spend. Massages; honey; several stalls selling wine; others inviting a taste of chocolate, or a sip of wine; the CWA held a corner spot selling aprons [$16 each!], cakes and biscuits, and home-made sweets; while further along contractors involved in the mining industry that encompasses this state toted their wares.
Outside a travelling sideshow, giving free displays [once upon a time this would have been held in a tent and a fee charged at the flap] of bare-back horse-riding, whip cracking, and shearing by blades. Blade shearing is old-fashioned, but this was part of the show. That the shearer-come poet-come raconteur from way back, only shore part of the fleece each session is beside the point.

One of his main skills was shearing a sheep blindfolded. In the beginning we marvelled as he related this skill. He was handed a black blindfold by his partner, made a great show of folding it into complete darkness, only to tie it around the eyes of the sheep.

1 comment:

Nuestras meriendas y manualidades said...

Hola me ha gustado mucho el delantal
Besos Mayte